Gift Aid

Financial Management
Standard Content

You can claim back 25p every time an individual donates £1 to your charity or community amateur sports club (CASC). This is called Gift Aid.

To be eligible to claim Gift Aid you must be recognised as a charity or CASC for tax purposes.

What the donor needs to do

The donor must have paid at least as much in Income Tax or Capital Gains Tax in that tax year as you want to claim in Gift Aid, and make a Gift Aid declaration that gives you permission to claim it.

Example Gift Aid declaration forms

If the donor hasn’t made a declaration you may still be able to claim on cash donations of £20 or less, through the Gift Aid Small Donations Scheme.

Special rules for claiming

There are special rules for:

What you can't claim on

You can’t claim on donations:

  • From limited companies
  • Made through payroll giving
  • That are a payment for goods or services or made because your charity or CASC bought goods and services
  • That started as loans, but no longer need to be repaid
  • Where the donor gets a ‘benefit’ over a certain limit of shares
  • From charity cards or of vouchers, for example Charities Aid Foundation (CAF) vouchers
  • Of membership fees to CASCs
  • You got before you were a recognised charity or CASC
How to claim

You can claim Gift Aid using eligible software (like a database) or a spreadsheet of your donations. For claims of over 1,000 donations you must use software.

To apply by post use form ChR1, which you can get from the charities helpline.

Your deadline to claim Gift Aid depends on how your charity is set up. You need to claim for a donation within four years of the end of the financial period you received it in. This is:

  • The tax year (6 April to 5 April) if you’re a trust
  • Your accounting period if your charity is a community amateur sports club (CASC), a Charity Incorporated Organisation (CIO) or a limited company
Small donations scheme

You may be able to claim 25 per cent on:

  • Cash donations of £20 or less
  • Contactless card donations of £20 or less collected on or after 6 April 2017

This is called the Gift Aid small donations scheme (GASDS). You don’t need a Gift Aid declaration to claim.

You can claim up to £2,000 in a tax year or £1,250 for earlier years.

You must claim on cash donations under the Gift Aid Small Donations Scheme within two years of the end of the tax year that the donations were collected in.

You need to keep records of these donations for a further two years.

Members Only Content